Lately, vlogging has been overtaking regular blogging, due to it being a more visual, easy to assimilate and captivating form of online expression. Vloggers on YouTube have become online celebrities and influencers, and the act of vlogging has become a seriously profitable business.
But the first step to becoming a successful vlogger is to have a good quality camera for YouTube.
We have interviewed some of the leading vloggers and have tested a variety of the latest cameras, in order to come up with the best YouTube cameras for 2019.
Our picks are chosen based on their price, the quality, and their ability to provide stable and crystal clear, smooth footage. Also, we have based our choice on features like portability, recording time, audio quality, battery life and others.
Choosing the best vlogging camera depends on the type of vlog you are planning to host. If you want to become a leading travel vlogger, you should pick a YouTube camera which is compact and light and has the proper lighting setups for amazing image quality.
As for beauty vloggers, the perfect camera is one which has a superb autofocus, sharp optics and top quality audio. Family vloggers may want to invest in a portable vlogging camera which can endure some wear and tear from the everyday experiences with kids, pets and a lot of movement.
If you want to shoot videos of your everyday experiences, it is best to buy a smaller and more portable camera, such as a mirrorless one. For action vlogs, you should use a specialized action camera.
Of course, if your idea is to shoot a simple headshot video, you can use a smartphone with a decent quality camera or your webcam. But this will hardly attract millions of views.
If you want to pursue a career in vlogging, you should upload good quality video in Full HD or 4K Ultra High definition.
Other useful features for YouTube vlogging include an integrated Wi-Fi, a tilting LCD display, audio, face recognition, image stabilization, low light performance and many others.
To help you find the best camera for YouTube vlogging, we have picked the best models in the different price ranges, so you can pick one which can fit into your budget and help you make your first steps towards a successful blogging career.
Read on to find out what our best picks are in the high-level, medium range and budget options.
The ultimate high level cameras for YouTube
If you want the crème-de-crème of the YouTube cameras on the market, and are ready to spend as much as it takes to become the proud owner of one of these amazing cameras, then take a look at our top 5 picks of the best YouTube cameras for over $1,000 for 2019.
Canon EOS 80D Digital SLR Kit
If you are opting for the best investment to make for your future vlogging career, take a look at the Canon EOS 80D. This is probably the best DSLR camera for vloggers when it comes to battery life. You can actually take 920 photos before needing to recharge it.
It also features a very easy to use touchscreen and a reliable autofocus system. Plus, it supports Full HD 1080p video recording at 30, 25 and 24 frames per second. This makes it a definite favorite for travel, lifestyle and beauty vloggers looking for the best quality of the images and video.
- Full HD 1080p at 30, 24 and 25 FPS
- A smooth and accurate 45-point all cross type Auto Focus system for the optical viewfinder as well as for area selection
- The smart vary-angle viewfinder with 100% coverage, leaves nothing to guesswork when shooting
- A 24.2 megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor for high-resolution results
- Compact size of the body – 5.47 x 4.14 x 3.09 inches, 22.93 ounces
- The Full HD 60p videos can be saved in MP4 format for easy storage and sharing
- Can shoot both Full HD 60p and Full HD HDR videos in MOV and MP4 formats
- A user-friendly touchscreen which can face forward for selfie mode
- Very lengthy battery life (920 images per charge) – twice as much as that of compact or mirrorless cameras
- 7560-pixel metering sensor for ColorTracking of the skin color and for accurate exposure
- ISO 100–16000 (Expandable to 25600) for photos and ISO 100-12800 (expandable to 25600) for videos – great for shooting in low light without the use of a flash
- Movie Servo AF mode allows for smooth tracking of moving subjects
- A continuous shooting mode which can record quick action at up to 7 frames per second with clear and crisp clarity
- HDR modes for a wide range of shadow and highlight detail of rendered images
- A time-lapse movie option which will join still movies into a time-lapse film
- Wi-Fi 2 for easy sharing, transfer and remote control of the camera via the Canon Camera Connect app and the CANON iMAGE GATEWAY4 online service without the need of a computer
- The built-in NFC can connect to various smart devices for easy transfer of files
- Supports an external mic
- Headphone terminal
- Manual volume control
- Digital zooming
- Anti-flicker shooting feature which compensates when shooting in flickering light conditions
- A durable mechanical shutter system which is electronically controlled with a speed of 1/8000 to 30 seconds and up to 7 FPS.
- No 4K video
Even though it doesn’t shoot 4K video, the Canon EOS 80D is an excellent DSLR for vlogging. It has one of the longest battery lives among other cameras and can shoot Full HD 60p and Full HDR videos with exceptional detail and quality even in low light settings, and even when you are recording a fast moving object.
You can easily share your videos without a PC from wherever you are to your vlog or to your friends thanks to the Wi-Fi2 and NFC connections to your smart devices and to the cloud.
It is packed with features, which you will definitely enjoy exploring and mastering while you are working on becoming a successful vlogger.
Sony a7R III 42.4MP Full-frame Mirrorless Camera
If you are ready to move on to a high-end Sony mirrorless camera, then the a7R III could be the best possible option both for your vlog and for making your first steps in professional photography. It is relatively compact but features a full frame 42.4 MP back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor and a gapless on-chip lens. Sharing your stunning 4K2 HDR3 videos has never been easier thanks to the One Touch sharing option of this camera.
- Full-frame mirrorless, with interchangeable lens
- Compact body (5 x 3.9 x 3 inches), 1.4 lbs.
- High resolution 42.4 MP back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS image sensor with remarkable shooting speeds up to 10 FPS
- Full AF/AE tracking with 10 FPS for continuous mode
- Advanced hybrid AF with 399 focal plan point detection which covers 68% of the image plane horizontally and vertically, and 425 contrast points which cover 48% of the area of the image
- Beautiful 4K2 HDR3 video shooting quality and can capture UHD 4K 30p, Super 35 crop, and 1080/120p video
- New BIONZ X processing engine and LSI for an ultra-fast processing speed
- Low vibration, reliable shutter
- A 3-inch swiveling LCD touchscreen
- Super 35 mm mode
- NFC connectivity and Wi-Fi for easy connection to a smartphone, tablet, computer or TV
- One-touch sharing option
- One-touch remote control of the camera
- A 5-axis image stabilization system which compensates any shaking on all 5 axes for the perfectly clear shooting of fast-moving actions and objects
- Pixel Shift Multi Shooting feature captures 4 pixel-shifted images of a total of 169.6 million pixels, which can be combined for an overwhelming resolution
- Dual SD card slots
- A high-resolution EVF
- A handy joystick for focus point adjustment
- An improved Eye-AF which recognizes faces and focuses on the eye of the subject even during fast movement
- High battery capacity of the NP-FZ100 rechargeable battery
The Sony a7RIII is very difficult to beat when it comes to the best compact camera for YouTube. It has all the features you will need for recording top-notch quality 4K videos. At the same time, you can easily carry it with you, thanks to its light weight and small dimensions.
Sony has managed to fit all the amazing technology and features which you will ever need to take beautiful photos and make professional quality films in such a small body. The precise eye-autofocus is one of the features which you will be absolutely fascinated with.
Yes, it may be on the high end when it comes to the price, but you will not be sorry for this investment, because it will pay back pretty quickly, once you start streaming and uploading those crisp clear, pro-quality videos on your vlog.
Fujifilm X-T1 16 MP Mirrorless Digital Camera
If you are a travel or nature vlogger you know how vital it is to have a lightweight and small-sized camera which you can easily carry around, but without compromising on the quality of the videos you shoot.
Fujifilm’s X-T1 16MP mirrorless digital camera is an exceptional YouTube and vlogging camera. It is lighter than a DSLR, has interchangeable lenses, and very customizable and fun dials for choosing the perfect shutter speed, ISO, aperture and exposure for your pictures and videos.
- A 16.3 megapixel APS-C X-Trans II CMOS sensor which minimizes color deviations and moiré and results in image quality like that of full-frame sensors
- Interchangeable lens camera
- The Fuji 18-55mm lens boasts image sharpness and an f2.8-4 aperture
- ISO 200 to 6400, expandable to 51200
- Shoots Full HD 1080/30 FPS video in MOV or H.264 at 60, 30, 25 and 24 FPS
- Film simulation effects can be used for shooting videos with monochrome, classic color effects, as well as to add your signature to the clip
- Water, dust, and freeze resistant body and lenses
- Continuous shooting mode of up to 8 FPS
- A beautiful tilting LCD 3:2 monitor with 1, 040,000 dots
- The largest and fastest (a lag of only 0.005 sec.) multi-mode OLED viewfinder with 2,360,000 dots and 100% coverage and provides a wide angle view
- Easy to use mechanical dials and six customizable buttons
- Compact size and lightweight for excellent mobility
- Predictive AF and AF tracking features for shooting high-speed actions and objects with continuous shooting speed of up to 8 FPS
- The Film simulation feature adds depth and impact to the images – you can choose from a variety of 6 classic Fujifilm photo styles, including the Classic Chrome
- A high-speed electronic shutter of 1/32,000 seconds
- Natural live view function allows you to see and adjust the effects while shooting
- Dual view function lets you see the regular and focus peaking image at the same time
- Remote control of the camera through your smartphone or tablet via the integrated Wi-Fi
- In-camera RAW converter so you can edit your results without a PC
- Built-in stereo microphone
- A clip-on external flash
- Has a port for an external microphone
- Doesn’t shoot in 4K
This exceptional mirrorless camera from Fujifilm is an absolute joy to own and use. It is light, small, and yet feature packed, and most importantly can produce the most amazing photos and videos you have ever taken.
It has a wide assortment of selections for customizing your shooting experience. Plus, it has an incredibly large, bright and super-fast OLED viewfinder which will help you take a picture or make a video exactly as you want it to be.
The tiltable LCD monitor will allow you to keep an eye on how your recording is going as you shoot a video of yourself for your vlog too.