If you have hay fever, allergies or asthma, you are probably very well aware of the significance of having fresh and clean air at home. And even if you are perfectly healthy, it always helps getting to breathe clean air at all times, right?
Air purifiers are ingenious devices which help clean out the ambient air from pollutants, allergens, germs, and other harmful debris and microorganisms. Having an air purifier is essential if you live in a heavily polluted urban area, or if somebody in your household suffers from allergies, asthma or other respiratory problems.
Some common pollutants which can be found in the air that you breathe at home include different fungi spores, molds, viruses, bacteria, pollen, volatile organic compounds, dust, smoke, chemical fumes, and pet dander.
Thankfully, a good air purifier can remove some or all of these pollutants from the air you breathe at home via different cleaning and filtering systems and blows back the purified, fresh air inside.
We have tested and carefully reviewed a wide variety of air purifiers, to make your life easier and to help you pick the most suitable one for you.
Our tests and overall assessment were made based on a number of different features of these air purifiers, including: their efficiency, the types of filtering they use, the capacity, features such as air quality sensors or light sensors, timer options, types of controls, the price of the unit and the price of the replacement filters, the warranties, and a number of other important details which formed our final opinion.
So, here are our top 10 picks for the best air purifiers for 2019. To see all their features, pros and cons, please scroll down to the brief overview of each of these units.
Conway Mighty Air Purifier
If you want a powerful and yet quiet and compact, great looking air purifier, we can sincerely recommend the Conway Mighty Air Purifier. It has multiple filters and features which can efficiently deal with even heavily polluted air.
- It uses four levels of filtration – a pre-filter for the large particles, an activated carbon filter for the odors, gases, smoke, and other air pollutants, a HEPA filter capable of capturing 99.98% of the tiniest particles and an ionizing system for freshening the air
- Three-speed settings
- Suitable for heavily polluted air
- A particle sensor technology will check the quality of the air in the room, and will automatically switch into high power if too much pollution is detected after the air reaches healthy levels, the fans will shut off for energy saving
- The ozone released from the ionizing system is safe and certified by CARB
- Suitable for people with all kinds of respiratory problems and sensitivities
- It works best in areas of 350 square feet
- A filter replacement indicator
- A useful timer
- Beautiful design
- Reasonably priced unit and replacement filters
- The indicator light on the unit can be a bit bright if you keep the purifier in your bedroom and want complete darkness
The Conway Mighty Air Purifier is a superb air purifier which has various speed settings, automatic sensors for detecting polluted air, as well as auto slowing down once the air is nice and fresh. It uses 4 different filtering systems to ensure that nearly 100% of the pollutants from the air in your room are removed. It is easy to use, has a useful timer and is certified as safe from harmful ozone release. This is the perfect air purifier to go for if you are allergic, have pets, live in a polluted area, or have a sensitive respiratory system.
It is fairly priced and is quite reasonably priced in the long run with all additional filters and costs associated with it.
GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Purifier
If you are really worried about bacteria and viruses in your home, or somebody in the household has a compromised immune system, you are definitely in need of the GermGuardian 3-in-1 Air Purifier. This unit can successfully filter out and clean off the majority of viruses and bacteria in your home.
- Uses UV light combined with titanium dioxide to kill off bacteria and viruses including those which cause flu, colds, staph infections, and others
- Features an activated charcoal filter which can catch all smells, smoke, and gases from the air of your room
- An additional HEPA filter removes almost 99.97% of all airborne particles in the air including dust mites, pet dander, mold, pollen, dust, and others
- The UV light bulb has 20,000 hours of life
- 3-speed options
- The activated carbon and HEPA filters are combined in one, so there is only 1 combo filter to change every 6 to 8 months
- An indicator light will inform you when it is time to change the filters
- Works for rooms up to 155 square feet
- Has a small footprint thanks to the tower like structure – dimensions: 7 x 10.2 x 21.5 inches, 7 lbs.
- Safety certified
- Reasonably priced
- The combo filter can be expensive
This is an affordable, multifunctional air purifier which will refresh the ambient air, and will allow you to breathe better, without congestion due to the airborne particles in the air and other allergens. It has a UV system which effectively kills germs, which means that you will save tons of money on flu and cold medicines, as well as for allergy medication.
It is easy to set and requires minimal maintenance. Overall, this is an excellent, certified air purifier which will make your home much safer and healthier to live in.
PureZone 3-in-1 True HEPA Air Purifier
Do you want an air purifier which can do all the filtering and cleaning of the air in your room while you are at work, or outdoors? With the PureZone 3-in-1 air purifier, you can set the timer and let the device do its work, and then return home to healthier and cleaner air.
- Versatile device with a HEPA filter for the airborne debris, a UV-C light which kills off all harmful microorganisms like viruses, germs, fungi and dust mites, an activated carbon filter which will remove any odors, gas or fumes, and a pre-filter for the larger particles
- Whisper quiet operation at a mere 30dB which is perfect if you use the purifier at night
- Easy setup – the device is ready to use straight out of the box
- A timer function allowing you to program the air purifier to work for 2, 4 or 8 hours and then switch off for energy conservation and extending the life of the filter
- An attractive design
- Easy to access and use control panel
- A 3-speed fan
- An indicator for filter resetting
- Has a sleep mode for even quieter functioning, and also switches off the indicator lights
- Can be used in rooms up to 200 sq.
- The dimensions are: 10.8 x 6.9 x 12.1 inches, 8.6 lbs.
- Very little maintenance is required – periodic washing or vacuuming of the pre-filter, and replacing the 3-in-1 filter every 6 or more months
- Comes with a 5-year warranty, and also has very useful customer support available 7 days a week
- It is a smaller unit which is suitable for smaller spaces only
The PureZone 3-in-1 has a convenient timer, and not only will it filter out the small and larger particles out of the ambient air, but it also will kill off all kinds of bacteria, viruses, and other allergens and harmful microorganisms.
It is easy to set up – straight out of the box. The air purifier needs very little maintenance, and most importantly it is sold with a 5-year warranty, which is much longer than most of the other purifiers we have reviewed.
With the PureZone 3, your home will immediately be filled with fresh and pure air which is a pleasure to breathe!
Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier (SPA-625A)
Do you want an air purifier which doesn’t require that you replace the filters every 6 months or so? With the Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0, you will just need to turn it on and forget about it for up to 3 years before having to replace the filters.
- The unit is capable of filtering the air in a 625 sq. Ft. room twice per hour
- Highly efficient BioGS HEPA and carbon filtration with 4 different stages of purification, odor removal and deodorizing
- The filters can last for up to 3 years with 12 hours of operation per day which is very economical in the long run
- The BioGS HEPA filter traps and reduces common airborne allergens and particles as small as 0.3 microns, and reduces the risk of the buildup of allergens and microorganisms on the filter itself
- The pre-filter which captures the larger particles is easy to wash and vacuum
- An ultra-quiet motor
- 5-speed settings
- LCD display, touchscreen controls, and a remote control
- Great looking and functional design
- Energy Star certified for energy saving
- A filter indicator will inform you when the filter needs cleaning or replacing
- The indicator lights will shut off when the unit is idle – for energy saving and undisturbed sleeping
- Winner of several prestigious international awards
- 6 x 9.8 x 22.2 inches, 16.8 pounds
- Comes with detailed and easy to understand instructions
- A 5-year warranty and 24/7 very useful customer care support
- It is more expensive than some of the other items in this list
This Ultra Quiet Rabbit air BioGS air purifier is definitely among our top favorites. Not only does it provide ultimate air filtering, freshening and deodorizing, but it doesn’t require expensive replacements of the filters every 6 months like some of the other units. You just have to dust or vacuum the filters periodically to keep them functioning properly.
It is very quiet, has 5 different speed settings and can filter and refresh the air in rooms up to 625 square feet. Of course, if you are allergic or prone to respiratory problems, you may want to use it in smaller rooms to double the unit’s efficiency!
Also, it is an energy saving unit, so you won’t have the electricity bills bulking up after you start using it.
Yes, it may be more expensive than some of the other air purifiers in this list, but overall, this is a great investment to make for a healthier and cleaner environment at home!
Winix WAC9500 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Cleaner with PlasmaWave Technology
If you are one of the many dog lovers who suffer from dog allergies, you will totally love the Winix Ultimate Pet True air cleaner. It is the perfect solution if you have pet allergies but are not ready to say goodbye to your furry friends.
- One of the most effective air cleaners for households with pets
- A 5-stage system for filtration which includes a HEPA filter, a CleanCell anti-bacterial filter, a PlasmaWave and an Advanced odor control filter which targets the airborne pollutants at a molecular level, and thus removes debris, bacteria, viruses, gases, and odors completely
- 2-stage carbon filtration which efficiently removes pet dander, hair, and odors
- The HEPA filter removes up to 99% of the airborne particles
- Low, medium, high and turbo speed options
- An easy to use control panel, a LCD display, and a remote control
- The sensors in the unit detect when the fan speed needs adjustment due to polluted air
- Can purify the air of rooms of up to 280 square feet
- An auto dim feature of the lights of the unit to save energy and to keep you comfortable during sleep
- A LED alert will inform you when the filters need replacing
- The size is 16.5 x 9.9 x 21.9 inches, the weight of the unit is 24.3 pounds
- The unit doesn’t have a handle which makes it less portable
If you are one of the unlucky animal lovers who have a severe allergy from pet hair or dander, this air purifier is a dream come true.
It provides 5 levels of filtering and removes 99% of all the allergens, pollutants and other harmful particles from an area up to 280 square feet.
It is easy to set, via the user-friendly control panel and remote control. The filtering systems are one of the most efficient you can find in the air purifiers on the market.
As a whole, this is definitely an appliance you want to invest in if you are looking for a last resort and solution to your problem with your allergies and your beloved pets.